Monday, December 31, 2018

At the End of 2018

Stephen Crane wrote:

A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”


At the end of 2018, I think of this:

God said to me:
"Child, I Am!"
"However", said I,
"Am content to see, tinker and hold forth
And not look learn, admire and be transformed."

At the end of 2018, may I be content to know by seeing, with veiled face yet, but anticipating the indeterminate future manifestations of this great Other, the I AM, who introduces himself to me and invites me to know him.

For Crane's 'man' to speak to the 'universe' implies personal knowledge, and for the universe to reply implies the need for a response.

In reality, it is God who takes the initiative to invite the man and the man who must reply to receive it.

No comments: