Thursday, March 11, 2010

Music Review- 'Fireflies and Songs' by Sara Groves

I can't review Sara Groves' December 2009 album 'Fireflies and Songs' any more eloquently than this interview with her does.

While this is the best confessional songwriting I've come across it is also the best songwriting that adapts to any artist's vocal style that I've seen.

I've been listening to this album for over 2 months, and some songs have been difficult to listen to because they question me at my deepest levels- on my marriage, the level of confession in my life- the "coming clean", the freedom of letting "light shine to the very inside", the idea that there are "different kinds of happy" in our relationships, the haunting picture of asking for forgiveness in "It's Me" and finally to my relief and infinite comfort the song 'Joy Is In Our Hearts', reflecting on a passage of Scripture from Paul's epistles that was one of the earliest bookmarks of my Christian experience, the chorus finally praising God for suffering, "Alleluia, Alleluia, Christ our Joy and Strength."

I talked about a series of epiphanies in my previous post. This has been one.

No comments: